Job Title: Software Engineer
Reports To: Engineering Manager
Software Engineer (Software Design and Validation Engineer)
EmbedTek is a Hartland, Wisconsin based firm that designs and manufactures embedded systems for OEMs. These systems include embedded computers, integrated display (LCD) products, embedded electronics and I/O & power control devices. EmbedTek provides creative solutions that help our customers to be market leaders in their specific field. Ultimately, we become an extension of our customer’s R&D department and develop a thorough understanding of short and long term needs. This allows our customers to produce products which will take the lead and stay ahead of competition.
EmbedTek is hiring an Embedded Software Engineer to support new engagements with customers. Our software development ranges from firmware and driver level to full application development. The position provides variety as we engage with OEM’s in many markets and our company is growing quickly providing opportunities internally.
The Engineering function is critical to the Company’s success in providing quality products to our customers in a timely fashion. This position is responsible for ground up design and validation of embedded systems. Design activities are multi-discipline and contain varying levels of mechanical, environmental, electrical, and software design based on customer requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop GUI and console based applications in multiple programming languages including C, C++, Perl, and others as appropriate.
- Utilize Microsoft Visual Studio, Qt, gcc, make, svn, and git development tools.
- Design software under Microsoft and Linux Operating Systems.
- Create applications that interface directly to custom hardware through USB, Ethernet, and serial interfaces.
- Develop hardware specific tests that will be utilized in a manufacturing environment.
- Manage the continuing design and improvement of manufacturing automated test software.
- Troubleshoot and debug embedded hardware with Electrical and Computer Engineers.
- Work with Electrical, Computer, and Mechanical Engineers to develop new products.
- Complete software development necessary to enable new embedded computer and electronic designs.
- Develop and execute software verification and validation plans.
- Participate in department scheduling and priority meetings to coordinate Engineering resources.
- Assemble prototype and validation systems.
- Coordinate communication with customers to provide updates and collect/clarify requirements.
- Participate in multiple concurrent Engineering projects under direction of Engineering Manager.
- Lead and participate in customer escalations and root cause analysis of field systems.
- Assist manufacturing with product assembly fixtures and instructions.
Candidates must be detail orientated and able to handle multiple tasks at one time. The candidate must have very good organizational skills. The candidate must be self-motivated and able to work as a member of a team. Qualified applicants will possess experience with the following:
- Software project management
- Software design methodologies
- C/C++ software development
- Software development under both Microsoft and Linux Operating Systems
- Microcontroller and/or firmware design experience
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Education ~ Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent experience..
Good written and verbal communication skills.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Driver’s License required.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Embedtek is an equal-opportunity employer. EEOC.
To apply for this job, please complete the Candidate Submission Form.